Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Groucho



Groucho Marx died this day in 1977. He was, as far as we are concerned, the greatest comedian of all time - Hands Down. He was consistently hilarious with the off-the-wall-stream-of-consciousness-in-your-face barrage of craziness that made him Groucho.

He was completely unique as a comedian and made a tremendous mark in the world. We love the movies he made with his brothers the most especially Monkey Business and Night at the Opera.

He died 3 days after Elvis Presley, so sadly his death was just a passing note in the news one day. Completely unbefitting, the American Icon that is Groucho Marx.

There are almost too many quotes to attribute to Groucho...some of his best one liners will hold up until the end of time and never go out of style...


*"Die, my dear? Why that's the last thing I shall do!"

* "Closer...Closer.." "If I get any closer, I'll be in back of you."

* "I never forget a face. In your case though, I'll make an exception."

* "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

* "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."


Do yourselves a favor and go rent a Marx Brothers movie tonight and laugh at the genius that was Groucho.


Read more:
http://www.groucho-marx.com/

No comments: