Friday, July 8, 2011

TDF: Two Faves Are Out

To say it rained in France today is an understatement

The Tour lost two of it's favorite riders today: Former world champion Big Tom Boonen and contender favorite, Team Sky's leader, Bradley Wiggins.

Poor Boonen was hurt in Wednesday crash and said this: "Yesterday it was OK, I felt OK, but today I'm really doing bad, my head hurts, I can't concentrate and I'm a danger for my colleagues".

Sounds like he has a concussion or something.

Bradley Wiggins was involved in another GREAT crash today that affected dozens of riders in the pouring rain. Someone slammed on the brakes in the front of the peloton and that was it...bodies hit the road.

"I think the guys were moving Bradley up, he went into a tailwind, they knew it was coming. Somebody apparently slammed the brakes on, the whole peloton skidded and then powered into the back of him at a great speed. There's a lot of guys (who) hit the deck."

Wiggins, a favorite to be in the top three, if not the Tour winner, broke his collar bone and was taken to hospital.

There was no change at the top of the standings, with Big Thor Hushovd in Yellow, Cadel Evans still in second place, just one second behind, and Frank Schleck still in third place, four seconds behind Hushovd.

Mark "The Missile" Cavendish won his second straight stage. "It's a very special day for me ... it's a very sentimental moment," Cavendish said. "I have to thank the guys for all their work today, it was a hard windy day, and the guys rode hard for me all the way through. They were marvelous", he said."

Cavendish takes the stage


Giant Norwegian Thor (Tor) Hushovd accepts
another yellow jersey and Lion


No comments: