Monday, July 19, 2010

Tour Update: Alberto Vs. Andy

Alberto getting harassed by a schmenge
moments before dissing Schleck


Today on The Tour Alberto Contador left a cycle-stricken Andy Schleck in the dust causing a Disturbance in the Force, an International Incident and creating a Faux Pas of Epic Proportions.

Andy Schleck, current leader of the Tour with the yellow jersey, had his chain pop out today and while he waited hopelessly and endlessly for his team car, Alberto rode on by and went on the attack.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk, Alberto - that's no way to be a Gentleman on The Tour. Unspoken laws of The Tour state that attacking a disabled rider is verboten. A set of unspoken laws that should have been shouted into Contador's ear.

"Schleck, who was leading Astana rider Contador by 31 seconds in the overall standings going into stage 15, dropped his chain while launching an attack on the day's final climb and had to stop to repair the problem. Rather than waiting for his rival - in keeping with the Tour's sporting traditions - Contador and a group including fellow contenders Denis Menchov and Samuel Sanchez surged clear and stole a march to the finish."

Needless to say, Schleck is pissed off!

Luxembourg's Schleck, the runner-up to two-time champion Contador last year, was angered by what he saw as a lack of "fair play" and vowed to take "revenge" on his rival.

"In the same situation I would not have taken advantage," Schleck said, AFP reported. "I'm not the jury, but for sure those guys wouldn't get the fair play award from me today.

"I'm really disappointed. My stomach is full of anger, and I want to take my revenge. I will take my revenge in the coming days."


Contador was booed off the podium by irate Tour fans. Afterward, Contador said this:"When I knew he had the problem, it was already too late. We had taken a significant lead on him."

Yeah, right!

The good news today? The Stage was won by "Little" Thomas Voeckler. WTG!

No comments: