Thursday, September 15, 2011

Big Tom Boonen OUT of World Championships - Sastre Retires

One of our favorite cyclists is in the news this week and it's not good.

Due to injury and general wear and tear, Tom Boonen will not be able to defend his World Cycling Championship title at the 2011 UCI Road Race in Copenhagen this week. The event runs 9/19-9/25.

“I’m really upset,” he explained. “I really wanted to participate in this World title. The route was perfect for me and the preparation program I was working on would have taken me to the championship event in top form. Unfortunately, rather than diminishing, the pain in my hand is increasing day by day and I simply cannot race in this condition. I relinquish my place on the squad to an athlete who can be of use to our national team.”

This is a total bummer as we really wanted Tom to win again!

News Article

Official Website - Copenhagen 2011

_________________________________________

Carlos celebrates his 2008 TDF win with the
traditional glass of champagne on the Champs d'Elysees

Also in cycling news everyone's favorite Spaniard and perennial Tour De France contender Carlos Sastre retired today after a well-respected 15 year career.

"The moment has arrived to bring this cycle to its close," the 36-year-old Spaniard said. "Next year I will begin a new stage, even though I am no sure what I will do."

Sastre won the Tour in 2008. He also finished runner-up in the Vuelta in 2005 and 2007 and the Giro d'Italia in 2009.

We will miss him at next years race but wish him well in his retirement.

No comments: