Monday, February 14, 2011

Ronaldo Retires


Brazilian Soccer Superstar Legend Ronaldo retired today ending his 18 year career.

Ronaldo still holds the record for most World Cup goals ever scored with 15 and won World Cup twice in 1994 (America) and 2002 (Japan). He was only 20 when he won FIFA World Player of the Year in 1996, the youngest to this day to do so.

He won the European Cup Winners' Cup with Barca in 1997 and the 1998 UEFA Cup with Inter, scoring in the final of both competitions.

He helped Brazil win the Bronze Medal at the Atlanta 1996 Olympics.

"Il Fenomeno", The Phenomenon, he was dubbed as he went on to win two Spanish first division titles with Real in 2003 and 2007.

He has OVER 400 career goals. He was also Player of the Year in 2007.

In his own words: "Four years ago at Milan I discovered I was suffering from a complaint called hypothyroidism, which slows down your metabolism, and to control it I would have to take some hormones that are not permitted in football because of anti-doping rules," he said.

"The pain made me anticipate the end of my career. My career was beautiful, was wonderful. I've had many defeats but infinite victories."

"It's very hard to leave something that made me so happy," said Ronaldo, with sons Alex and Ronald by his side. "Mentally, I wanted to continue, but I have to acknowledge that I lost (the fight) to my body."

We think he is the second most famous Brazilian soccer player, the first being the incomparable Pele. And he also only has one name. Must be a Brazilian thing.

No comments: